Intermag 2020 is cancelled due to COVID-19.

Visa Information

You must be a registered Conference attendee and/or have an abstract that is officially accepted in order to receive a Letter of Invitation. Conference registration opens on January 15 and abstract notifications will be sent by February 14.

Click here to find out if you need a visa.

Canada’s entry rules have recently changed. All participants, including those from Europe, should check to see if a visa is required for entry.

Processing times for visa applications vary depending on the visa office and the time of the year. Participants are encouraged to apply approximately 12 weeks in advance of their departure date to ensure they receive the visa in time. Applicants should first consult the Government of Canada's visa appointment and processing wait times website.  Processing time doesn’t include the time you need to give biometrics (see below for more details). Review your visa status now to determine if you need a Canadian visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and to find out how to schedule an interview appointment. Take your English-language CV to your consulate visa interview. The Conference management cannot intervene on your behalf.

Electronic Applications (e-Apps)

  • This system allows clients to submit applications online.
  • Delegates that choose to apply on-line will not have to submit their passport until requested to do so by a visa officer.
  • The visa office will send the applicant instructions on how and where to send their passports to finalize the visa process.
  • Submission at a Visa Application Centre (VAC) (In person or by mail)

  • VACs are commercial service providers authorized by Canada to provide specific services to applicants.
  • VACs provide a number of services to clients, including help applicants fill out forms, answer questions and ensure that applications are complete.
  • Reduces unnecessary delays or refusals due to incomplete applications.
  • VACs serve as a collection point for applicants required to provide a biometric.
  • VACs send applications to visa offices and transmit decisions to applicants in a secure and confidential manner.
  • VACs do not process visa applications and have no decision-making authority.
  • Biometrics - Global Expansion

    Depending on your nationality, you may be required to give your biometrics:
  • Starting July 31, 2018 the biometric requirement becomes mandatory for nationals of Europe, Middle East and Africa, and
  • Starting December 31, 2018 the biometric requirement becomes mandatory for nationals of Asia, Asia Pacific and the Americas.
  • For additional information on whether or not you require a biometric, please refer to our fast facts about Biometrics.

    Visitor Visa

    A visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa) is an official document that will be attached in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada. Most travelers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need one if you’re transiting through a Canadian airport on your way to your final destination. You can apply for a visitor visa online or on paper.

    Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

    As of November 10, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. If you have any questions on the importation of goods related to your event please contact the International Events and Conventions Services Program (IECSP) at the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).