Magneto is a popular fictional character from Marvel Comics who possesses the ability to control magnetic fields. He has been portrayed in various films and TV series, including the X-Men movie franchise. In this article, we will discuss his role in the Disney+ series WandaVision and how it relates to the broader Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).
What is WandaVision?
WandaVision is a miniseries created by Jac Schaeffer for Disney+. It follows the story of Wanda Maximoff (Scarlet Witch) and Vision, two superheroes from the MCU. The show explores different decades of American sitcoms, and each episode features a new era with its unique style and tropes.
Who is Magneto, and How is he Related to Wanda?
Magneto (real name: Erik Lehnsherr) is the father of Wanda and Pietro Maximoff (Quicksilver) in the comics. He is a mutant with the power to manipulate magnetic fields, which gives him immense strength and control over metal objects. In the MCU, both Wanda and Pietro were introduced as experiments conducted by Hydra, a villainous organization.
In the comics, Wanda and Pietro are mutants and members of the X-Men and Avengers teams. However, due to legal issues between Marvel Studios and 20th Century Fox, their origins were changed in the MCU. As a result, they were not initially referred to as mutants, and their father was not revealed until later.
Magneto’s Absence in WandaVision
Despite the speculation and fan theories, Magneto did not appear in WandaVision. However, his presence was hinted at throughout the series. For instance, when Wanda expanded the Hex (an energy barrier around Westview), she briefly changed the aspect ratio to that of a widescreen film. This was interpreted as a reference to Magneto’s powers, which can alter the electromagnetic spectrum.
Additionally, in episode six, Pietro (played by Evan Peters) made his debut in the MCU. He was portrayed as a different version of Quicksilver from the X-Men movie franchise, which led to rumors that the multiverse was involved in the show. Many viewers speculated that this Pietro could be from an alternate reality where Magneto is his father.
Pros and Cons of Magneto’s Inclusion in WandaVision
- Magneto is a beloved character in the comics and movies, and his inclusion would have excited fans.
- His connection to Wanda and Pietro would have added depth to their characters and explored new storylines.
- The multiverse concept introduced in the show could have allowed for different versions of Magneto to appear.
- Magneto’s absence did not detract from the show’s main storyline, which focused on Wanda’s grief and trauma.
- Introducing Magneto could have created continuity issues and raised questions about how mutants fit into the MCU.
- It would have diverted attention from other characters and themes that were explored in the show.
Alternatives to Magneto’s Role in WandaVision
While Magneto’s absence disappointed some fans, the show still had other compelling characters and storylines. Some alternatives to Magneto’s role in WandaVision are:
- Doctor Strange: As the Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Strange has a vast knowledge of the multiverse and could have helped Wanda understand her powers and the Hex’s effects. He is also set to appear in Wanda’s next appearance in the MCU, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.
- Mephisto: A popular Marvel villain who has a history with Scarlet Witch and Vision. He is known for his manipulative nature and could have been behind the events in Westview.
- Agatha Harkness: A witch who serves as a mentor to Wanda in the comics. She was revealed to be the true villain of WandaVision and could have had a more prominent role.
Magneto’s absence in WandaVision did not detract from the show’s main themes and characters. However, his presence was hinted at throughout the series, which fueled fan speculation about his involvement. While Magneto is a beloved character, introducing him into the show could have created continuity issues and diverted attention from other storylines. The show still had compelling characters and themes that were explored, and its impact on the MCU will continue to be felt in future projects.
- Will Magneto appear in future Marvel projects?
- There is no official confirmation yet, but rumors suggest that he might make an appearance in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness or the upcoming X-Men reboot.
- Why was Evan Peters cast as Quicksilver instead of Aaron Taylor-Johnson?
- The showrunners wanted to explore the multiverse concept and pay homage to the X-Men movies while providing a surprise for viewers.
- What is the significance of the Hex in WandaVision?
- The Hex is a manifestation of Wanda’s reality-warping powers, which she used to create a sitcom-like world to cope with her pain and grief.
- Is Wanda a mutant in the MCU?
- While Wanda was initially portrayed as an experiment conducted by Hydra, it was revealed in the Disney+ series Loki that she is a variant of the character from another timeline, suggesting that she could be a mutant in the future of the MCU.
- Will the events of WandaVision affect other Marvel projects?
- Yes, the show is set to impact the future of the MCU, as evidenced by Wanda’s appearance in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and the introduction of new characters and concepts.